Hi healthy eaters!
So today let's talk about vitamin A and beta-carotene, which both are really important and may improve many things to function more properly in your body. Both have enormous influence on you wellbeing and mood.
Vitamin A is an essential nutrient, also known as retinol, which have important functions:
- It helps your immune system work against infections,
- It plays an huge role in vision as an essential element of rhodopsin (a protein that absorbs light,
- It keeps skin, hair and nails healthy.
- It also exerts an impact on the normal formation and maintenance of lungs, heart, kidneys and other organs.
There are two forms of Vitamin A available:
- PREFORMED VITAMIN A --> It can be found in animal an diary products.
- PROVITAMIN A CAROTENOIDS --> It can be found in plan-based products, such as fruit and veggies. By far the most important is BETA-CAROTENE (more about it later in the post).
- green, leafy veggies,
- orange-coloured fruit,
- butter and margarine,
- oily fish.
You may also contribute good sources of BETA-CAROTENE, because it can be converted into vitamin A by your body. Beta-carotene gives yellow and orange fruits and veggies their colour.
The main food sources of beta-carotene are:
- yellow, green and red leafy veggies, such as carrots, spinach red peppers or sweet potatoes,
- yellow fruit such as apricots or mango.
VITAMIN A IN KITCHEN
*Cooking foods, which contain vitamin A causes a 25% loss,
*Washing and draining make the vitamin A vanish by 35%,
*Drying causes the highest loss of vitmin A, up to 50%.
Remember to wash all fruit and veggies before cooking, so that you remove microorganisms on the surface of them.